Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Somewhat of an update

Well, I knew this would happen eventually. The activities are really picking up here. We've had numerous emergencies over the past week and a half, which means lots of overtime for me. I just got a call from my dad, and both he and my mom have been wondering what's going on because I haven't called them in a while.
I've certainly been getting my fair share of EMT experience. We've had head trauma, acute abdomen pain, motorcycle accidents. It's crazy. Word to the wise. If you get carsick easily, becoming an EMT might not be for you. Those ambulances really rock on these curvy roads.
So for the past 3 days or so, there has been this carcass on the side of the Lamar river in Lamar Valley. At the peak of the carcass, there were 3 grizzly bears, four wolves, and thirty ravens all trying to get a bit. It's been our biggest jam around this area for a while. Last night I was on the jam. The three grizzlies were there, with the biggest one on the carcass and the two smaller ones hanging around and hoping for a turn. Also the Alpha female of the Silver pack was there as well. And boy was she gorgeous! I think that was the closest I'd seen a wolf my whole time here. She was also quite fat. It seems she had been eating pretty well the last few days.
Fourth of July was fun. The northeast entrance rangers had their annual 4th of July potluck. I brought soybean and chicken salad. But some of the other dishes there were amazing. If everyone here wasn't a ranger, they would probably be great chefs. After dinner we all headed out to Cooke City to watch the fireworks. The fireworks that the city put on were pretty cool, but so were the ones being shot off in the street. And in the backyards of two different houses. And only a couple fireworks shot off sideways and exploded near cars. So I suppose you could call it a pretty successful 4th of July since no one got hurt.
Afterwards a bunch of us went to the Miner, a bar in Cooke City. Being the only one under 21, I got to be the designated driver, but before we drove back at midnight, some of the folks played pool.
We have a rocky mountain bluebird nesting above our ambulance bay.
That's mostly it. My days off haven't been too exciting because I've been working and getting overtime during them.
My hat came in last week! Like most things, I haven't had time to take pictures yet, but I should get some time tomorrow afternoon and maybe I can get one of the rangers to get a few shots of me.


Post a Comment

Myself in my uniform from a couple of years ago. I wear normal clothes to the office now.